Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR)
As you enter treatment with us, we would like you to understand that EMDR will be the treatment modality utilized in your therapy. EMDR has been researched for years and is a valid treatment for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It is also used for other various diagnoses. However, when adding the horse and making the treatment Equine-Assisted EMDR, there is not yet any research. Equine-Assisted EMDR is an experimental treatment approach. We would like you to fully understand our treatment approach and have outlined for you our mission for your treatment.
- History is the first stage. We will be asking questions during this time regarding your past. We will give you educational material which we ask you to read so you can fully understand PTSD.
- During the preparation stage we will teach you various ways you can learn to calm yourself and also help contain painful thoughts. We will teach you ways to keep you present and help you control thoughts from your past. The History Stage and Preparation stage will fluctuate and we will go between these 2 stages as you begin your treatment.
- This stage is when we look at your history and you choose where you want to begin your processing.
- Is when we begin to look at the past and keep you present so you can “let go” and live a life that you were meant to live.
- Is the stage where you choose what you would rather feel and we process that with you.
- Body Scan. From your readings on PTSD you will learn that the mind affects the body and this stage is to see if you have any body feelings regarding your past event.
- Closure for the session after processing.
- Checking in after the session when past material was processed.